Sunday, June 8, 2008

Afton Avalanche Race#2


Damp and humid conditions made for a tough day of racing at the Afton Avalanche on Sunday. The recent wet weather forced some course alterations but still provided the lung busting course riders have come to expect. While the sun rarely peaked out, the high dewpoints made it feel a lot warmer than the mid 70s temperatures. Zach and I had a good day of racing. Conditions were very wet and muddy, it was a good day to be on a single speed. Zach started in the second wave and I started in the fourth. Zach got a good start and that was the last I saw of him until the finish line. Zach was the first finisher even after starting in the second wave! Although he was not happy to see me coming over the last hill to finish next. After the times were calculated, I had beat him by 3.61 seconds to take first overall. We both got first place medals in our age groups. I can't believe that we finished so close together and never knew where the other was.
Another pleasant surprise today was running into friend and Vassago team mate Ben Shockey. Ben had a good day also taking first in comp single speed.

1 comment:

Scott H. said...

Very impressive to start second wave, but finish first. I think this is the race I saw you two in last year. Wish I had remembered the date so I could've seen you this year. Ready to quit your day job and join the MT circuit?