Sunday, August 24, 2008

MNSCS #8 / WORS #9 : BORDER BATTLE!

The start

Today was the Minnesota, Wisconsin border battle race. This was the race we have been looking forward to all year. It takes place practically in our back yard. We train there almost every week. The course was perfect for our single speeds, a 100 yard dash to a long double track climb before heading into the single track. We knew that getting up that climb first would be one of the most important parts of the race. Zach's wave went off second and he hammered the climb and was the first of his wave (12 -18) into the single track. I took off in the fourth wave, I got the the hole shot and was the first to the climb. I gave it all I had and at the top of the climb I had a large gap on the rest of the wave going into the single track. The rest of the race went very well until half way through the second lap I saw Zach by the side of the trail with a ripped tire, bummer his race was over. I pushed it hard the rest of the way And narrowly took first place in my age class by 3 seconds. I got 10th overall from a field of 109. I was very happy because my last WORS race I was a distant 3rd. It definitely helps to have home course advantage.

No comments: